Thursday, October 2, 2014

Working Out the Brain


Meet my challenge for the next 8 weeks!  For the next 8 Thursdays I am stepping out of the gym and into a classroom to read the one big gaping hole in my Russian Literature cannon.  It is going to be a very different kind of work out.

Luckily I am embarking on the journey with my college roommate.  She and I read a lot of the big long scary Russian novels together 20 years ago, so I have faith we can conquer War & Peace.

Here is some sage advice for those of you still in or much closer to the college experience than I:

1.  You will miss going to class some day, enjoy it while it lasts.

2.  Take calculated risks in college, the stakes aren't nearly as high as you think they are.  To this day I kick myself for not taking a studio art class.  I thought it would be hard, I thought I might not get a good grade, I thought I might embarrass myself with my stick figure drawings.  Who cares?  No one.  I'm not saying load your schedule with every random thing you want to try, but don't hesitate to try the few things you think are too silly, because they are not.

3. Your college roommate can be the person who knows you better than almost anyone else.  That will mean a lot in the years that follow.

And so my War & Peace journey begins... "Eh bien, mon prince, Genes et Lucques ne sont plus que des apanages..." Wait, this book starts in French?  Mon Dieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment