Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Nutrition: My Kingdom for a Carrot


If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter you are familiar with my #BunnyWatch series.  I live in an urban area with lots of bunnies and lots of greenery.  I am finally taking a page from the bunny handbook and getting on the veggie bandwagon.

Do not read this as Annmarie is now a vegetarian as that will never (ever) happen.  I will not consume fake meat made out of processed soy. I am committing myself to #40DaysofVeggies though in an effort to increase my intake and lower my consumption of other less healthy options.

Why?  I don't eat enough veggies.  In keeping a food journal I realized that I eat a paltry number of vegetables and that is silly because I actually like vegetables.  I like lots of vegetables and generally I like them fairly simply prepared (not a lot of butter or sauce or cheese).

So while #40DaysofFitness continues I embark on #40DaysofVeggies.  I chose now as it is still peak season in New England for fresh produce and I have easy access to a great Farmer's Market in Copley Square.  So today I will venture out and buy some fresh herbs and veggies for a quick stir-fry.

Do you have any veggie recipes that are fairly simple and don't involve fake-meat?  What are your favorite veggies to have on hand? Please share in the comments below!

8 comments:

  1. I'm certainly not trying to talk you into being a vegetarian, but eating processed fake meat is no more required of a vegetarian diet than eating something like Spam is required for a meat-eating diet. That stuff is made for people who are too lazy to cook real food. (Hence, the reason I used to eat so much of it :)

    As much as I love vegetables, I *still* find it difficult to eat as many of them as I'd like. They're rather labor-intensive, what with all that chopping. I could eat a huge vat of veggies with every meal, but I can't manage to prepare enough to eat that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how we like vegetables, but find that we don't eat enough? I'm the same way. Since starting WW in May, I've had to dramatically increase my intake. I add veggies to my egg whites or buy a fresh salsa/pico de gallo to go on top. I find I'm more likely to make a salad if I have the greens you don't have to cut. For dinner, I'm experimenting with more interesting sides thanks to Pinterest. My easiest go-to is roasting them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. I don't have a favorite, but I do know I like to have lots of color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so labor intensive! Hoping to find recipes that are tasty and interesting enough to last a couple meals, so I can chop once and eat for a couple days :)

    And yes, I know there are plenty of vegetarians who do not fall back on processed soy, but I know I would and it is a huge red flag for me. That and I really like hamburgers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that pre-cooking summer veggies makes them mushy (ie, I end up not eating stirfry leftovers after a day or two.) But if I pre-cut them, I'm actually more likely to cook them. That being said:
    Salads. I love salads. The more lettuce the better.
    Mixing things with eggs. Whether it is a hash on the skillet, or a crustless quiche, or a frittatta. I like them with broccoli, spinach, asparagus, etc.
    Spinach can be snuck into almost anything.
    I was once told by a nutritionist that anytime I put something into my mouth, there should be a protein, a fat, and a fruit or vegetable. I think about this, especially at breakfast. (Almonds, for example, provide a protein and a fat, it doesn't always have to be three things).
    Pan-roasting veggies is great. Grill up several meals worth of meat one day, roast a pan of veggies (lightly coat in oil and cook in oven at 400 degrees), and that's several meals.
    -Rhi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pre-cut my stir-fry veggies today, but only cooked one servings worth, I agree they get mushy! Great minds :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite my overall poor eating habits, I usually have a veggie with every dinner- we often by frozen and steam them which is fast and easy and I'm lazy so I need fast and easy. Broccoli with a little lemon juice and olive oil abs salt and pepper is very good! I also love love a WW recipe that I make constantly- grill some pepper and onions (or roast them), add to a wheat tortilla topped with a little sauce and cheese. Grill or broil the pizza for a few minutes to melt cheese. The recipe calls for chicken sausage. Sometimes I leave that out depending on what's in the fridge and add more veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The family weighed in with their favorite veggie recipe. It's a slow cooker minestrone that's really easy. Also, Rowan says that adding pesto or sprinkle cheese (grated Parmesan in the jar) makes any cooked veggie "totally awesome." http://www.motherearthliving.com/food-and-recipes/recipes/slow-cooker-minestrone-soup-recipe-zmoz13ndzmel.aspx

    ReplyDelete