Thursday, January 15, 2015

Let's Get Personal...Training!


When I joined the Y in August one of the benefits was a free 2 hour "Getting Started" Personal Training package.  The idea was to get you familiar with the gym, learn how to use the equipment and hopefully inspire you to pay for personal training moving forward.

I tucked that benefit into the back of my mind.  There was no way I was letting a trainer see me in the shape I was in back then and I knew enough to get started on my own.  As I improved I figured I would save this free training for my 2nd big goal/post-holiday kick off.  I stuck to the plan and last night I had my first hour long session.

The session was half conversation and half work.  The trainer, a young guy named Matt who was really super friendly in a genuine way, was impressed by what I had accomplished on my own, seemed to really understand what my next goal was and was realistic about what I could do.

I then had to do an assessment which involved the following: 500M rowing (easy), 40 Squats with perfect form (harder), 20 Sit-ups (I did 10), 10 Push-ups (I did modified) and 10 Pull-ups (I did 5 assisted).  Matt assured me I was among the average of folks he sees, but it still struck me as a reality check.

I am proud of what I have done the past 5 months, I know I have made some amazing strides.  My clothes are 2 sizes smaller, airplane seats are actually roomy and my friends and family continue to tell me how great I look.  I am stronger and fitter, but I am far from strong and fit.  Matt seems confident I can get there, this is the next goal.  I will redo that assessment each month until I can do all those things in perfect form in above average time.

No comments:

Post a Comment