Sunday, January 4, 2015

New Year's is Just Another Day


People attach a lot of significance to New Year's Day and while it is certainly a good reminder of the passage of time and an easy day to remember to change the batteries in your smoke detectors, it really is just another day.  Sure you throw out one calendar and hang another, but don't fret over those pesky resolutions.

I am not saying you don't need to have goals and such planned for the year, but you don't miss out on goal setting if you wait until after the holiday hubbub to set them.  And nowhere does it state you have to set them in blood and never adjust them as you go through the year.

I am a firm believer in achievable goals and on reassessing them as you go.  I have plenty of goals for 2015 in my little brain, but I am not going to bore you with them, some of them are silly and some private.

I did complete a goal I had set for the end of 2014 when I swam a mile on December 30th.  I was psyched about that, but I had set that goal in September.  I never would have set that goal way back last January since I didn't have a pool to swim in and I had no idea I would be swimming for fitness.

Lots of people use New Years to jump start a healthy lifestyle and if you are one of them then congratulations, but if you don't get to the gym until April (or August as I did in 2014) that doesn't mean your year is a failure.  New Year's is just another day....

No comments:

Post a Comment