Thursday, July 17, 2014

Another Decade Down

I went to the DMV today.  It is kind of mean to have your driver's license expire on your birthday, no one wants to spend time around their festive day at the DMV, but there I was and I was remembering the last time I was there 10 years ago (Massachusetts let you renew on line every other 5 years, but forces you in for a new photo after 10 years).

So what have I done with the past ten years that I can remember so clearly the mundane task of going to the DMV?

I changed jobs and apartments.

I became an aunt.  Three times.

I chaired a national conference on Student Travel in Memphis, TN.

I led a tour group of over 30 through Moscow, St. Petersburg and Minsk, returning to Russia after many years.

But the one thing I have been doing the most for the past 10 years is being incredibly grateful.  The winter before my 30th birthday my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer.  If you or someone you love has received a cancer diagnosis you know that beyond the months of treatment you count years of survival faithfully.  We celebrated 10 years of survival this year.  For the past decade the breast cancer community, particular those involved with the Susan G Komen 3 -Day have been a big part of my life.  I participated in eight 3 -Days and met so many incredible friends these past ten years.

When I think about how different the past decade could have been I am indescribably happy with how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment