Thursday, September 18, 2014

40 Days of Veggies Wrap-Up


So 40 Days of Veggies is technically over and I feel it was a worthwhile challenge.  I didn't eat as many different types of veggies as I would have liked, but I did consistently eat more locally grown vegetables than I had been prior to the challenge.

Since it was the height of summer harvest during the challenge I ate a lot of:  tomatoes, corn, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, peppers, potatoes and carrots from the Farmer's Market in Copley Square.  I also found a lot of herbs and garlic with which to experiment.

A few things I learned during 40 Days of Veggies:

1.  If the vegetable can handle it, chop it and store it chopped.  Zucchini, summer squash and even eggplant would hold up to 5 days pre-chopped in a big Ziploc bag.  Then I could just toss a handful or two into tomato sauce or a stir-fry for those late dinners after the gym.  Pre-cut carrots easily lasted a week for snacking.

2.  The Farmer's Market is a great place to try things.  Most stalls will let you try a vegetable if it can be eaten raw.  And with everything out open to the air you can really smell things and get a feel for them.

3.  Lots of yummy things are still yummy without meat. I had a lot of veggie omelets, pizza and pasta dishes that felt worse for me than they were because I usually had them with meat.  I used meat sparingly over the 40 days, mostly chicken and fish and I never used any fake meat to supplement the veggies.

I have gotten into a routine of visiting the Farmer's Market on Tuesday, it is a nice walk and convenient to the library which I usually visit weekly any way.  It will run into late November, the veggies shifting over to fall, so I am still eager for any veggie recipes out there, especially if they involve root vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment