Thursday, September 4, 2014

Soundtrack for Success


The evolution of portable music over my lifetime is staggering.  From my pre-teen days of taking the boom box down to the beach with 30 pounds of D batteries not lasting until sunset to my original Sony Walkman and Discman through an original MP3 Player the size of my thumb that only held 100 songs to one the size of a postage stamp that held 1,000 and now to my phone where all manner of distractions live.  Whew!  It's been an interesting 40 years for walking around and listening to music.

I LOVE music.  All kinds.  It is with this in mind that I am stumped by the fact that I cannot stand any of the 900 songs currently on my phone.  I spend most of my walk/workout fast-forwarding to find the perfect song only to end up listening to Josh Groban sing O Holy Night because I am tired of fast-forwarding..

I need music, not to set my pace for a workout, but rather to distract me long enough to get the workout in or extend it to a decent length.  I get bored easily on a treadmill or distracted by bunnies on a real walk.  I need the focus of good solid song lyrics to keep me on task.

So this is a call for your favorite workout tunes.  Don't be shy, I like the silly pop songs right alongside the deep songwriter pieces.  My favorite music combines great lyrics with unique instrumentation (currently LOVE ZZ Ward) but I am open to anything at this point.  Help me restock my IPod, leave some suggestions in the comments.  Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Here are some things I've been listening to that you might not already know: Hozier ("Take Me To Church," "Work Song"), John Brown's Body ("Step Inside"), John Newman ("Love Me Again"), Lenka ("Trouble is a Friend"), Marina and the Diamonds ("Primadonna"), The Show Ponies ("Gone" and "Whiskey and Wine"), Trampled By Turtles ("Wait So Long"), and Valerie June ("Working Woman Blues.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name Trampled by Turtles, it would be a good name for my workout regimen! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was their name that enticed me to listen to them!

    ReplyDelete