Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Power of Positive Women

 
 
If I could give one piece of advice to my 20 year old self now that I am 40, it would be to make sure you surround yourself with good women.  I did that any way, but it would have been nice to know it would work out so well for me.  This swirling nostalgia that 40 has brought on, coupled with the great outreach of Social Media has reminded me just how wonderful all the women in my life are.
 
I got off on the right foot, I have a great Mom (my dad ain't half bad either, butt his post is about chicks).  My mother is kind and generous and smart and hard working, she supported my choices (even when they took me very far from home) and she respects the life I have made for myself (even though it is very different from her own).
 
I forged great friendships in school with girls that had ambition and open minds, some of whom I keep in close contact with and some I have rediscovered as wonderful women on Facebook.
 
And there is a special place in my heart for the friends I have made as an adult.  We were not forced together by the rigors of school to unite over chemistry homework or cute boys, we chose each other amidst our busy lives and carved out the time to form bonds.
 
Friendship, at any age, isn't easy; it requires time and commitment and the willingness to listen and share.  Not all friendships succeed and that is another lesson I have come to appreciate.  A failed friendship is not a condemnation, but merely a sign that you were each meant to find a different friend.
 
What I have at 40 is a great group of women who support one another in all things.  We challenge each other to be better, we motivate when needed, we comfort when called upon.  Life isn't always easy, but the hard parts are a little softer with the right kind of support.  Thanks!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment